Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gourmet Cooking

Masha and Tanya took a taxi over to our house just after lunch and stayed much of the afternoon.  My Tanya was busy making Christmas crafts for Masha's school room from "Christmas decoration stuff" she gathered together and then took apart to make "supplies".  She found some old green garland and wrapped it around grape vine she cut earlier in the day as the base for the wreath.  

My professional grade glue gun I bought at Epicenter last year for $40 finally got a real workout. First time Tanya used a glue gun.  I think she is hooked.  When LynnieC gets here in three days to spend Christmas holidays, the two of them are going to buy good craft supplies and go crazy making more Christmas stuff. 

If LynnieC gets here.  Great Britain is snowed under as is much of Europe.  Heathrow is closed but apparently City, which Lyn will fly from, is still working.  Boryspol Airport, Kyiv is closed because of ice.  Frankfurt in the middle is not looking good either.  Even if all three are working on the same day, can they clear the backlog?  I worry.


Tanya was tired.  I said to her, "What do you want for supper?" meaning give me a hint and I will go cook it.  Next thing I know she is banging around in the kitchen.  We had a famous Russian dish, Rozhki po Flotski, for supper.  Sounds impressive until you realize it is the Russian variant of SOS.  Ground beef straight from the freezer to the frying pan along with a couple of onions.  Macaroni cooked, then mixed with the hamburger and onions.  Slathered with ketchup.  15 minutes freezer to plate. 

Oh, and Rozhki po Flotski?  Means Macaroni for the Fleet.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds kind of like a homemade version of Hamburger Helper. Suddenly I'm very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the weather cooperates for Lyn's travel plans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great creative cooking! Now I'm hungry, too! Time to raid the fridge.

    British weather hasn't been great. People are trying to get to Canada for Christmas and are facing challenges. Hope Lyn gets to your place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good only I can't afford hamburger any more.

    Hope LynnieC makes it. It would be terrible to spend an entire holiday at an airport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were all ready to cook, and she elected to make a dish like that--wow! Does she not like your cooking, do you think, or does she see cooking as women's work, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I do most of the cooking around here, and I dislike planning what to cook a lot more than I do the actual cooking, so maybe she just figured that if she had to come up with the meal plan herself, that she had might as well cook the meal.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted