Sunday, April 26, 2015

The "Saskatchewan" Computer Virus

My computer is down with the "Saskatchewan" virus since Wednesday, which necessitates a clean install of the Windows 7 OS.  There was an earlier restore point but I have never successfully restored my computer settings. I bought my Dell Inspirion locally almost 5 years ago and it came with NO discs.  I took it to the shop and they told me yesterday they had no English version of Windows 7.  I should have taken the computer home then but didn't.  Last night I contacted MS Live Chat from Tanya's computer and found where to download an ISO version to reinstall but needed my compouter with the 25 digit code.  So I wait till Monday.

About 20 years ago when folks were first getting used to the internet and email and all, there were constantly circulating emails warning about viruses.  The Saskatchewan Computer Virus which would clean all files from your HD, was one such email.  The gist of the email body was that since Saskatchewan was a bit behind in technology, to please forward this warning to all your friends and then go to C Prompt and type C colon backslash format.

A Saskatchewan virus, like the 26 oz flu, is self inflicted.

"How did you get to be successful?"
"Good decisions"
"How did you learn to make good decisions?"
"Experience."
"How did you get experience?"
"Bad decisions"

I am still working on the getting experience part. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, yuck! I am so sorry to hear this. Said the Mac user.
    Blessings and Bear hugs in any event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a few viruses here and there, but nothing like yours. Sorry. Luckily, I have a friend at the office who will clean my computer if needed, and only accepts payment in beer.Those who write/send/hire computer viruses are scum. I only hope that someday karma will catch up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt even MAcs are immune to what I can do to them accidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where did it come from? e-mail?
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the rule "If you don't know what it does, don't mess with it"? Well, I was messing around trying to delete a problem program which was part of Windows Media Codec something and FUBARed my registry so all my MS programs like Office quit working. Like I said, self inflicted

      Delete
  5. Wish I had read this earlier. I have a resident computer geek here who wouldn't charge you for the service. Two pieces of advice: 1 write down the registration code. and 2. make a back up install disk.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted