Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Iolo System Mechanic 16.0 Stops Working

System Mechanic has been my go-to computer clean up and tune up software for many years.  It costs me about $40 per year but has been worth it in terms of performance.  Current version is 16.0 to which I just upgraded a week or so ago.

The program had been giving me some trouble for a couple of months.  It would quit working in the middle of automated analysis and clean up.  So when the upgrade did the same thing two nights in a row, I decided enough. Using Google with my title as search text input, I found THIS link.

Took me an afternoon but it worked and I hope fixed a few other things as well.  The problem was something in Windows. Here are the steps to doing a total overhaul on Windows XP to 10.

1. Entirely delete the contents of all Temp folders.  I used CCleaner which is free from this website: http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds.aspx. It removes all of the following and a great deal more.  You can chose what it will remove but these are critical. Reboot afterwards.
  • Cookies
  • Local Settings\Temp
  • Local Settings\History
  • Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
2. Disable Windows security systems including antivirus.  I did not need to uninstall Malware Bytes but was warned it may be necessary if disabling them does not truly shut them off.  I did turn off the Firewall. Windows Repair must be installed with no security software interference.

3. Download and install Windows Repair (All In One) which is free from this website: www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one.


4. Follow all the directions in Windows Repair.  It walks you through step by step.  I did all the optional scans and of course the mandatory backups. Some of the steps take time.  Be patient.

5. Once you have run the repairs, reboot and test.


4 comments:

  1. I've used CCleaner, but I'd never heard of System Mechanic - if I have a problem, I'm more of a hack-the-registry type. ;-) Glad you got everything working again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try it for free. I sure like it. My IT guy says I don't need it, I just need him. Right; at $70/hour

      Delete
  2. I hate tech problems almost as bad as plumbing.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. The sink tap in the upstairs bathroom works fine on cold but only runs a trickle on hot. I need to tear it apart BUT. . .

      Delete