Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Coffee - the Water of Life

Whiskey is supposed to be from the Irish word for the water of life and they do have a point, however, I will argue that coffee is more like it based on consumption data (which I am too lazy to look up). Coffee is starter fluid for the morning impaired. My youngest once started her day without coffee. Her court date is pending.


There are many kinds of coffee. Instant and decaffeinated are NOT coffee. Not is the stuff they serve at Starbucks unless you ask for real coffee. Espresso is good coffee if they would just give you a mug full but who can afford a double-double? Cowboy coffee is strong enough to float a horseshoe. Norvegian coffee pots are kept on the back of the stove 24/7.  Grounds and water are added as necessary until the pot is full of grounds. Then you start over. Mechanic's coffee tastes like used motor oil. A friend of mine from Peru once told me coffee should be hot as hell, black as pitch and bitter as marriage.  I'll drink to that.

Some people are quite snobbish about coffee. Others are not so fussy as long as it is chewable. 







12 comments:

  1. Oh gawd yeah, I need that cuppa joe in the morning to jump start my old bod and brain! Without it, I'm useless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than coffee: add a generous shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm a philistine... but I do look forward to my Nescafe Instant coffee in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooo! Get a French Press. Fast and easy and real coffee.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, cant help it, I'm British! And we all love nescafe Instant!

      Delete
    3. As the old maid said when she kissed the cow, everyone to their own taste. You are forgiven. In some places I've been coffee is called Nescafe.

      Delete
  4. I like coffee but rarely drink it because it makes my whole body vibrate... and not in an enjoyable way. (If I could only localize that vibration, I might become a major coffee fan...) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you have had enough coffee when you can thread a needle. . . with the sewing machine running.

      Delete
  5. I definitely agree with everything you state... WITH the exception for me on the HOT aspect. I prefer all coffee room temperature or iced.... be it fresh or two day old. :). But, I do not drink any hot beverages of any sort either, so I am just odd that way. But I do like my coffee thick, strong, harsh and only black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't start me coffee scalding hot, it is too cool by the time I reach the bottom of the mug because I drink too slow. I never tried Iced coffee. Is it good?

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted