Thursday, April 11, 2019

Running Against the Wind




Against the Wind
Seems like yesterday
But it was long ago
Janey was lovely she was the queen of my nights
There in darkness with the radio playin low
And the secrets that we shared, mountains that we moved
Caught like a wildfire out of control
Til there was nothin left to burn and nothin left to prove
And I remember what she said to me
How she swore that it never would end
I remember how she held me oh so tight
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then
Against the wind
We were runnin against the wind
We were young and strong we were runnin against the wind
And the years rolled slowly past
And I found myself alone
Surrounded by strangers I thought were my friends
Found myself further and further from my home and I
Guess I lost my way
There were oh so many roads
I was livin to run and runnin to live
Never worried about payin or even how much I owe
Movin' eight miles a minute and for months at a time
Breakin all of the rules that would bend
I began to find myself searchin
Searchin for shelter again and again
Against the wind
Little somethin against the wind
I found myself seekin shelter against the wind
Well those drifters days are past me now
I've got so much more to think about
Deadlines and commitments
What to leave in, what to leave out
Against the wind
I'm still runnin against the wind
I'm older now but still runnin against the wind
Well I'm older now but still runnin against the wind
Against the wind
Against the wind
Still runnin
Against the wind
Against the wind
Against the wind...

Sometimes a song sticks in your head and won't leave you along.  Not an ear-worm. They are common enough.  A song where the lyrics and music come together in a way that speaks to you.  I posted Bob Seger's "Against the Wind" on FB a couple months ago and it has haunted me ever since.

"I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then". How often have we wished we knew then what we know now.  This line says it better. Regrets for the things you learned the hard way and wish you hadn't.

And who among us hasn't felt at one time or another we were running against the wind? Sometimes I feel like I have always and am still running against the wind.  Mostly of my own choosing and my own decisions. Too old to quit. Or too dumb.

Reminds me of another ditty:

If you're happy and you know it, overthink.
If you're happy and you know it, overthink.
If you're happy and you know it, 
Give your mind a chance to blow it.
If you're happy and you know it over think.

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes we just have to tune everything and everyone out. Relax, let go and just "be." Wishing you good shelter against the wind, today and always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seger and the is one of my favorite artiest - he does a lot of biker songs.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  3. How goes your recovery? We're pulling for you.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ol'Buzzard. Just marking time now. Tanya goes home on the 23rd and I will look after myself until after my daughter's wedding. All healed up. Will wear the abdominal belt for a several weeks more then see how it goes. My son says now that I am well, I will have nothing to talk about.

      Delete
  4. This is such a great song. You're right, some songs just capture so much and become personal.

    The ditty is great in a different way :)

    Glad you're continuing to do well, as your reply to Ol'Buzzard tells us anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am doing Ok. working on my 2018 TAXES. Bleah.

      Delete
  5. Bahahaha! The "overthink" ditty is so true! And Bob Seger is one of my all-time favourite musicians. Now my mental soundtrack will be "Against The Wind", too - hooray! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I traded it for "You don't have to call me darlin', Darlin' by David Allen Coe

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted