Wednesday, July 7, 2021

I Gotta Quit Reading the News

 I should stick to WaPo, NYT, and Heather Cox Richardson all of which I subscribe to. But oh, no. I also read The Hartmann Report,  Jeet Heer from The Time of Monsters,  Greg Olear from PREVAIL, all of which are free if you don't want to comment. Then there is Umair Haque from Medium.com which I subscribe to as there are several articles on it that I might read. And the Daily Beast which can flood my inbox with newsletters if I sign up for all of them. 

Now, Thom Hartmann, Jeet Heer, Greg Olear and Umair Haque make Jeremiah sound like Pollyanna when it comes to the survival of the American Project. And it does discourage me. 

So today, I will post about my dog Lucky again. He lives outside in a pen about 10x50 meters with a room in our outbuilding and a doghouse in the room to shelter in when it is cold or thundering. There is no place to hide from the heat though it has not been much above 30C. We bring him in the house if it gets too hot. Think 40 kg out of control two year old to whom everything is a toy. We are all three of us learning.

He does not like dry dog food so Tanya makes him special meals with porridge, ground chicken, cheap liver pate and several times a week boiled chicken livers. He is her baby too. She goes out to feed him at 7:00 am and 7:00 pm. He would rather play but eventually will come around to eat if she hand feeds him. Sometimes I will go out to feed him and spend time with him, though walking him is usually my thing. 

Last night and tonight, I went with Tanya and we both sat with and entertained him. I took him a new tennis ball and made him the happiest mutt I ever saw. He would not let go of it. He held it in the side of his mouth even when he was barking loudly at the neighbour's dog down the street. He would hide it in the weeds and then look for it. We only managed to throw it a few times as his idea of fun is for us to chase him to get the ball. 

He finally came and lay on the weeds where we were sitting, just out of Tanya's reach. He would not get up to eat. She would lean forward with a handful of food and he would reach and take it. When the dish was empty he stretched his neck to see if there was more but was too lazy to get up. 

Tonight Tanya got the ball a few more times and would bounce it. Lucky figured he could catch it in the air but he is no infielder. 

I can still bark loud!

Where did I hide it?


Daring us to reach for the ball 


What did you say?

Too lazy to move but will not let go of the ball


My newest favourite toy



21 comments:

  1. The news is like a car wreck. It is so hard to avert your eyes. I am glad you forced yourself to write something non controversial and homey. Kind of puts the world's stupidity in the perspective it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like watching a passenger train approaching a trestle at high speed while people are actively destroying the trestle. Everyone watches but no one does anything. People carry on as though it were normal. When Exxon brags it owns 6 Democrat senators, do people seriously think Biden will save the day?
      Yes, I need to remember what makes live worth living, the little things that really count.

      Delete
  2. Lucky is gorgeous and very obviously loves his new toy.
    I can (mostly) read the news. I cannot watch it. Seeing some of our politicians mouthing their weasel words and empty platitudes does my head in. Further does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch news. It takes too long. Skimming headlines and reading important articles takes way less time and covers more area. Also, like you, I cannot stand the sound of politicians voices

      Delete
  3. Lucky has the "Life of Riley" now with you and that's great to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is lonesome and bored too much of the time. He needs more walks. He needs another dog but he is more dog than I can handle sometimes. We do try and he does love us.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it interesting how effectively they train us?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we learn quick and other times slow, but we are trainable

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We sure love him, even if he is a goofy puppy at heart

      Delete
  6. Aw, he's adorable! Thanks for the photos. I, too, skim the news only long enough for the pressure between my ears to build to danger levels. Then I go out in the yard and move a few tons of dirt. At least that feels productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky is a good doofus.
      It is too hot here to shovel anything remotely related to dirt except early in the morning. ten more days in the low 30s. Are you getting another heat wave like you had? Stay cool and hydrated.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I am. Our temps have been hovering around 30C every day, but that feels comfortable after our 42C heat wave. I do most of my work in the morning, but yesterday found me raking gravel in full mid-afternoon sun. Long sleeves, long pants, a hat, gloves, sunscreen, and lots of water breaks. I wear more clothes in summer than I do in winter. :-)

      Delete
    3. Those temps were insane. Redheads burn easily hence the extra clothes. Have you ever considered a bee suit? https://www.amazon.ca/bee-suit/s?k=bee+suit You can wear as little as you like under it and it even provides some protection for your face.
      I just learned something else about redheads; they need more anesthetic to stay under during an operation.

      Delete
    4. Oh yes, redheads are pretty special people, I am one!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you have the distractions of your adorable Fur Baby, who is clearly spoiled rotten! I gotta quit WATCHING the News... for the very same reasons, it just stirs me up something fierce! I'd hate to have to leave the Country I Love if it circles the drain and our Democracy goes Tits due to ignorant people and Lunatic Fringe sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in hopes it does not go TU but the dems better get their act together soon.

      Delete
  8. Lucky's a good looking dog, and seems to be pretty smart too. I'm glad he has found a caring home with you. OlderSon and his wife wanted to give a home to a rescue dog so they lined up a few dogs to look at and vowed that they WOULD DEFINITELY NOT get the first poor homeless doggie that they met.... so of course you know which one they came home with! His name is Badger and he is HUGE and very HAIRY, a sort of German Shepherd / wolf. Looks fearsome but is actually a rather shy dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful. You will have to do a blog post on him with lots of pictures of this large hairy Badger

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted