Thursday, November 18, 2021

Pascal's Wager and My Take on Religion and Morality

The existence of a philosophical argument known as Pascal's wager came to my attention about 20 odd years ago when a Christian colleague was addressing a group of Ukrainian young people in an English Club. These are semi-formal groups who gather to practice their English.

Blaise Pascal (1623–1662) was a seventeenth-century French philosopher, theologian, mathematician, and physicist. Pascal's wager posits that human beings wager with their lives that God either exists or does not. You can read all to gory details here in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_wager  

My colleague explained it this way. As we cannot prove that God exists or does not exist (though there are still some idiots arguing about it) then we should live as though he exists. If we are right, we go to Heaven, and if we are wrong, we lose nothing. If we live as though God does not exist, and we are right we lose nothing, and if we are wrong, we go to Hell. 

I tucked that away in the back of my mind and mulled it over for a lot of years. It felt to simplistic and too much like threatening people into believing in something they may not necessarily embrace.

It finally dawned on me that whether God exists or not, has no bearing on how I live my life. Religion draws its morality from people, not the other way around. Atheists and agnostics are no less moral than religious and in too many cases much more so. We do not have far to look today to find a myriad of examples of believers of all stripes acting in ways highly inconsistent with the teachings of their professed religion. 

 Plato took a run at it 2000 years ago, arguing that if the gods approve of some actions it must be because those actions are good, in which case it cannot be the gods' approval that makes them good. More recently, Albert Einstein wrote in 1930 that "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hopes of reward after death."

This article puts it rather nicely. Religion does not determine your morality.

Many Christians don’t believe in magic, but even the ones who do, don’t think they should kill those who use it, even though one could interpret passages in the Bible to be suggesting exactly that. . .

There is a moral behaviour advocated by the Bible that gets rejected by most people. Why? Because they think it’s morally wrong.

They ignore that part of the moral teachings of the Bible. Instead, they tend to accept those moral teachings of the Bible that feel right to them. This happens all the time, and a good thing too. . .

We see that people can choose religious beliefs, churches and even whole religions based on the morality that they already have. And this is the morality that atheists have too. . .

Experimental evidence suggests that people’s opinion of what God thinks is right and wrong tracks what they believe is right and wrong, not the other way around. 


 

16 comments:

  1. I meant some so called people of faith or if you like we could use term religion. Come right down to it they are right down nasty people in so many ways.
    I will continue being pagan. Once I get right on how to live life, I won't be coming back to earth or what every planet you want to call it. I believe in past life regression and reincarnation.
    If it makes any different.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I suspect your ethics and morals are more oriented towards the teachings of the gospels than those you refer to.

      Delete
  2. White fundamentalist are bringing America to its knees. They are vulnerable to the most outrageous conspiracies and their vitriol toward anything outside of their cult make them dangerous to a pluralistic society.
    Over the last two thousand years science has given us great knowledge.
    Over two thousand years religion has contributed nothing to our knowledge.
    the Ol'Buzzard
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Whiteness is all that really counts. The rest is just cover.

      Delete
  3. Pascal's Wager is nothing but a form of hedging one's bet; a better safe than sorry scenario. Since I neither believe nor disbelieve, your personal take in paragraph 5 dovetails well with my own perception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Pascal's point was to hedge your bets. But no it does not make any difference. Good people will be good regardless.

      Delete
  4. Thank you.
    I can remember being almost ballistic with rage when a very Christian reader of my blog told me that I could not live an ethical life without being a believer. I am not a believer and do try to live my life ethically. In some ways, not believing in an after life, helps. This is my one and only chance. And yes, I am a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. We are a work in progress trying to do the least harm and the most good to the Earth and all it contains.

      Delete
  5. death is the ultimate Schrödinger's cat. You won't know what's waiting for you after death..........til you die..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect definition. And over the millennia, that unknown has sparked a huge industry in inventing religions to explain it.

      Delete
  6. Pascal’s Wager is a very interesting philosophical construct. What you say about faith or non-faith is also true.

    Yet, for me, I do enjoy the faith I practice, and for me, it also serves as a reminder to me of the ways I try to lead my life. I try to be kind. I try to be helpful and caring. I try to do good things in my life. I do believe I would still try to be this way even without ascribing to a faith….. but for me, trying to have and maintain that faith is helpful for me and reinforces how I want to be as a person.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would that more people tried (which is all we can do) to live their faith as part of 'how you want to be as a person'.

      Delete
  7. Religion is one of those topics I just shouldn't get started on... so I won't. I'll only say this: I've lived long enough to know that religion has NOTHING to do with a person's intrinsic 'goodness'. Either you do your best or you don't, and no religious trappings (or lack thereof) will change that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree that if someone has no moral compass or it is askew, whether they profess to be Religious or not has no bearing on the overall way they will just live out their lives. Similarly, those who aren't professing to be Spiritual at all, if they have a moral compass, will also be living out their lives according to what they have determined is Right or Wrong. I'm deeply Spiritual, but I find it very disheartening how much Wrong has been done in the name of various Religions or allegedly for who they worship as a Deity. People tend to need a reason to Justify what they already believe and do, if their Religion and Dogma can be such an excuse and crutch they think it will somehow exonerate Bad Behavior and any atrocities they commit for their gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely. Religion is too often used to justify atrocities against "the other".

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted