Thursday, August 25, 2022

Meeting Grayden

On August 3rd, my grandson Grayden Hingston was born in Edmonton and on August 16th I finally got to meet him. The feeling is hard to explain to someone not a grandparent for the first time. I got to hold him lots, read Green Eggs and Ham to him and sing Willie and Waylon songs to him. He did like Willie and Waylon so I think he is off to a good start.

His brother Tristhanh (15) and sister Matalinh (14) are quite happy to have someone take the pressure off them and sure do love their little brother. The feeling is returned as he likes them to hold him too.

His three Aunties, Bronwyn, Kylee-Anne, and Lynmara, arrived Saturday morning which was the first time the five of us had been together in three years. They took turns holding him which Grayden didn't mind at all. In the afternoon Mishel's family arrived and the house was full of noise, laughter and energy. I had not met any of them before. Grandpa Hai and Grandma Cassie are going to be excellent grandparents, will spoil him rotten and not teach him any bad things.  His Uncle Hoang is so good with him too. His Aunt Chau and Uncle Dz drove up from Calgary. They are full of fun and will be the ones to get him in trouble in years to come. 

We all stuffed ourselves with Vietnamese food while Grayden got passed around like a hot potato and took it all in stride. Noise doesn't bother him. Quiet does. Not used to that. He is growing and no wonder he loves to eat so Mishel is supplementing him with formula. He was 7 lbs 3 oz (3.260 kg) at birth and 9 lbs 2 oz (4.140 kg) at 3 weeks. He has stretched out a couple inches (5 cm) in length too. 

Bus fare to Calgary from Regina, return, is $230 so I will go and see him again in September is possible. 

Grayden at 3 weeks

My first meeting with my grandson

Graeme and Mishel's family

The five of us with the wee boy

Grandpa's Hai and Allen with Graeme and Grayden

Grandma Cassie (also an amazing cook)

My other good boy waiting for me in Ukraine


30 comments:

  1. Well, isn't Grayden just a real cutie-patootie! And such wonderful family photos with him as the centre of attention! Congrats, Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be the center of attention for a long time

      Delete
  2. I can’t get over how much he looks like you. On him it looks good. Hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good time.
    (sincerely, and without any euphemisms, double-think and prejudges... but you, feel free to add any sinister meaning you like)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I mean that sincerely.

      Delete
    2. Well... for at least idea of civility not foreign to you.
      Well, still, I would like to reconcile that our longstanding dispute.
      Because... well, if I'd be believer, I would say -- because it is for the sake of your immortal soul.
      But as I am not one... so, just out of curiosity. That's my sin, I easy to admit being guilty in.

      Other than that. Have a nice day. (sincerely, well I think everything I do is out of it... but, too much sincerity can be seen by others as utter cunningness... well, cest la vi)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing Allen. I have an one and only granddaughter and no more are expected. She is so special... I understand your special feelings! I have a picture of holding her the first time and one of my father, Pappy, holding her. Oh the joy on our faces are a match to yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something we will always share then. Name, please.

      Delete
  5. Tundra Bunny here... It's always a joy to welcome a new baby -- congrats to you and your family again! Lucky looks pretty hale and hearty too! Will Tanya be able to bring him back to Canada when she returns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tundra Bunny. As to Lucky, we will see. He is very big and will have to fly cargo which is expensive.

      Delete
  6. He's a cutie and it looks like he joined quite a lovely and loving family. All the best to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photos - I can tell that a great time was had by all. It must be hard for you to be away from Tanya and the Ukraine, but this family get-together surely was a reward for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talk to Tanya every day but wish I was with her. We had so much fun at the big family supper you could not hear yourself think. My youngest goes back to London tomorrow. Don't know when we'll see her again.

      Delete
  8. yOU CAN BE PROUD OF.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look and sound like a lovely family. I have no grandson, only granddaughter and that fine. There all happy and I'm lucky.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first and only grandchild other than step-grandchildren whom I also dearly love

      Delete
  10. he looks just like you...and he's adorable too. I remember holding my first granddaughter....and my first great granddaughter...no feeling like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is nothing like it. He is now 4 weeks and growing fast. I need to go see him again soon.

      Delete
  11. Aaaaahhhh lovely story, lovely photos, and lovely baby. It's wonderful having a baby in the family! Congratulations to mum, dad, all the grampies, well..... everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shammickite. And I agree with you about my handsome boy in Ukraine whom I miss very much. He is sure glad Tanya is there.

      Delete
  12. That last baby pic is exceedingly handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dad, I can hardly express how happy I was when you came. And of course he likes Wille and Waylon, I’ve a hunch he’ll like Merle too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dad, there has not been much in this world that has made me more happy than seeing you with him.

    And of course he likes Willie and Waylon. I've a hunch that he'll like Merle too.

    - Your son

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted