Friday, October 21, 2022

Horseshoes,...Hand Grenades, and Slow Dancing

 If horseshoes bring good luck, then I would seem to have several. I know where they are, because I walk funny.

I was supposed to fly to Warsaw Oct 20th. My flight left at 05:15. For some unknown reason I read that at pm not am, though I know better. It just stuck in my head that the flight left at 5 pm. I went to the airport and learned I was 12 hours late. Called KLM in a panic and a female voice told me that the next available flight was Oct 22 and it would cost $3400 CAD. Went home and called KLM again. Male voice told me that in fact the Oct 20th am flight had been cancelled and rebooked me on the Oct 22nd flight at no charge. I sent him cyber hugs. Horseshoe number 1.

Called Tanya who was less than pleased but thank God it wasn't my fault. She contacted the young man in Warsaw who was to meet me and rebooked him for Sunday. Called the bus line in Warsaw and explained the problem. They said use the old ticket since it was not my fault. The train ticket from L'viv to home only refunded 30%. Standard procedure.

Two weeks ago we had our apartment block sprayed for cockroaches. We had to empty all cupboards, closets etc. and pile it in the middle of the room so they could spray the baseboards and where ever else. They were to come back today and do a second round. Our building manager's understanding from them was that the only needed the bottom of the cupboards, closets and and baseboards clear. And I thought they would come again at 10 am as last time. 

I was getting ready to leave by 10 when they knocked on the door at 9 am. No one was ready because they had NOT told the building manager it was the same deal as last time...all cupboards and closets empty etc. They are going to come back next Friday. So I spent the day emptying everything out of cupboards and closets again. If I had caught my plane or even if I had left before 9 to come back late in the afternoon, I would not have had time to do this. Horseshoe number 2.

I hope the horseshoes hold out and the flight tomorrow is not cancelled. Toronto is noted for that. 

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really, really hope the horseshoes hold out - and that you have some in reserve.
    Good luck, and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOPE YOU MADE IT-ED BERRY

    ReplyDelete
  5. close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, red lights and dancing. keep up the good work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackiesue. Didn't know about red lights but it is a good add

      Delete
  6. Wow! Continued good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not kidding about the horseshoes! Do you clink when you walk? I hope everything goes well and smoothly now with your trip and return.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having my head in the same location kind of muffles the sound

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes. Wishing you a 12-horse hitch worth of horseshoes for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...though that might be uncomfortable, considering where you're storing them... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. don't miss the flight to Asterdam...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm surprised you don't set off metal detectors at the airports! In any event, may your horseshoes continue to bring you lots of luck no matter where they're lodged!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hah... wasted chance to watch Warsaw for a couple of days? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well you are well on your way by now, I am sending extra horseshoes and also keeping my fingers crossed that you and Tanya and Lucky make it safely back to Canada as planned. I've been out of the blogger link for a while, so havent been keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well played, if a bit late. How sure are you that it is safe to be in Ukraine??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If COVID-19 level of lethality O.K. for you.

      Delete
    2. I have been double boosted but was too soon to get the Omicron variant booster before I left. We both have our flu shots

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted