Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Joyce Olivia (May) McLachlan Sept 5, 1947 - February 5, 2023

 Back in the day, when cousins lived close enough to be your friends, Joyce was one of my best friends. Three weeks and three days older than me, she lorded that over me until we were old enough for it to be my turn to tell her how much younger I was.

We celebrated our 50th birthdays together with my other best friend cousin on the other side of my family, Lorne Dale, born Dec 1, 1947, who died of cancer in 2005. 

Joyce and I celebrating 75 Years
For our 75th, her sister Judy organized a small party for the two of us in late November after Tanya and I returned from Ukraine with Lucky. She and Judy had lived together after Joyce retired and when Judy retired, the two of them moved to Saskatoon. 

Joyce was not well at the time of our party, with symptoms similar to Congestive Heart Failure, though it was not that. She spent several weeks in hospital before they were finally able to diagnose as something on her heart that they could not operate on as she would not survive the operation. She was sent home with oxygen and heavy meds to alleviate the fluid on her legs and some of the associated pain. 

Judy looked after Joyce the last few months of her life. She was not prepared for Joyce's death to be so sudden nor were any of us, for that matter.  But Joyce is no longer in pain and is at peace so Judy said in a way it was a relief. 

I first met Joyce when we were very young. My grandparents who had a reliable car, drove my folks, my brother Ross who was a toddler, and I, to Beverly, near Swift Current, where my Uncle Vince was a grain buyer at the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool elevator. A few years later he transferred to run the Pool elevator at Merid which is west of Kindersley, close to the Alberta border. We got to see each other more often then and even spend a week at their place sometimes. How Aunt Betty kept her sanity while we were there is beyond me. 

Joyce 1961 age 13
Uncle Vince's next Pool elevator was at Fiske west of Rosetown where the family spent many years. Aunt Betty worked at Miller's General Store.  Joyce and her sisters Helen and Judy grew up in Fiske, finished elementary school and went to high school in Rosetown. Ross and I used to spend a week there every summer before we were in our teens.

The families of the three Johnson sisters got together for meals several times a year, especially when our grandparents were alive. There were 10 cousins in all and there were great times. One time when Joyce was at our place, we took the old car up to the pasture to check the cattle. I got out, opened the gate and was so tired I got back in to the car in the backseat. There is a joke about a drunk who did that and thought someone had stolen the steering wheel. Joyce was going to make my life miserable over that I could tell. Anyway, she wanted to drive. So I let her. She put it in forward not reverse and not only drove into a tree but drove up the tree. I had to cut the tree down to release the car. Neither of us told anyone about anything.

Uncle Vince had been offered the Pool elevator in Kindersley a few times and turned it down but eventually gave in. The family moved to Kindersley in 1967. Joyce graduated from highschool in 1965 and her first job was with SaskTel as a switchboard operator in Rosetown. Her Uncle Frank said she was a "call girl". Joyce married in 1968 because all her highschool friends were getting married. That marriage lasted 10 years which was sort of the average length of the marriages of all her highschool friends, too. She did not make that mistake again.

Helen married Dick Preston, a farmer from the community of Brock which is about half way between Rosetown and Kindersley. They have a daughter, Amber. Judy married John Holland and they had two sons, Shane and Chris. Shane followed in his grandfather's footsteps and became a grain buyer at Flaxcombe. John passed away several years ago.

Joyce 2008
Joyce moved to Edmonton and worked there many years, I did visit her there once as I recall but that was it. Then she moved back to Kindersley in about 1999. She worked at several different jobs and cared for her parents who were not getting any younger. Uncle Vince passed away in 2006 and Aunt Betty in 2011. The house was too much for her and she sold it and moved into an apartment until she retired and moved to Lloydminster to live with Judy.

I'm sure my two best friend cousins, Joyce and Lorne will share a couple of laughs on the other side and Joyce will reunite with our cousin Sandy (Baker) Parsons who passed away only a couple of years ago. I will sure miss you, Joyce. That I know.

10 comments:

  1. Bless Joyce, my she rest in peace.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute to your best friend cousin Joyce. May she rest in peace. Condolences to you, her sister, and all who loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your cousin/friend. There's something extra-special about a bond like that. Wishing you peace through your grief, and the comfort of happy memories forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your loss of your best cousin friend..... Joyce looks like a lovely lady. Isn't it wonderful to have best cousin friends.... I have some of those too, better than friends, better than cousins, very important people in our lives. You're already missing her a lot, I can tell.
    We get to an age when this is going to happen more often.
    Hugs to you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce was a great deal of fun. I was just reminiscing the other day about the time she and her friends tried to push the family outhouse over with a car because she was tired of her father bragging about his untippable outhouse. They too failed.

      Delete
  5. my cousins were the first best friends I ever had..so this means a lot to me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Times sure change. My kids' cousins are scattered too far apart for even occasional visits.

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted