Sunday, April 2, 2023

Grayden and Lucky - my two good boys

 Since I last posted, Tanya and I took the bus to Edmonton to visit my son and his family. Mostly to visit my grandson Grayden whom I last saw in August and whom Tanya had never met. Thank goodness for WhatsApp video calling. Tanya stayed three days and came home as Lucky was at our friend Ed's place and she figured five days was enough. Bus from Regina to Edmonton is a full 10 hours but a return trip is only $240 CAD. Flying is impossibly expensive. 

And like any holiday, it takes days to catch up on things left undone while away.

Grayden has learned so many things and learns something new every day at that age. He will be 8 months tomorrow (3rd) and will pull himself up and stand on the couch by himself, and yesterday learned to crawl forward. He was crawling backwards and rolling as means to move around. While he has ample toys, he prefers real things. Like the TV remote and knows which one works the TV and which one does not. 

He quite loved his Babushka and missed her when she left. He is usually all smiles for everything but is cutting teeth, he has two with more soon, and sometimes fusses about that. He likes the TV on because of colour and action. So I got to watch lots of Disney Pixar movies. I would say UP was my favourite.

So here are pictures of my smiling boy:

Look waaaaay up

He loves his Baba Tanya

And his Grandpa Al

Saying goodbye at the bus stop

He is always happy in the morning




Lucky, our three and a half year old German Shepherd, is the most expensive non registered dog in Regina. Getting him here will keep us broke for the next few years and keeping him here isn't cheap either. I raised four kids at less cost than this dog. Our new veterinary clinic is 2 km from our house so I walked him down Friday for his annual vaccinations and internal and external parasite control. I raised four kids at less cost than this dog. But he is one of the family so. . .

Lucky is very protective and likes to look out the window and bark at anything that moves on the street. When walking his, he will often bark and lunge at large vehicles like buses, trucks or big pickup trucks. If someone is walking towards us he will bark and lunge. If they are working he will ignore them. He never bites anyone but doesn't need to as he is 36 kg and very scary. If neither Tanya and I are around or he escapes to the street, he is friendly as can be. 

Tanya speaks to him in Russian and he understands her very well. Get the ball, where is your toy, and so on. He listens to her but not to me. Sleeping on the bed is his greatest pleasure. Until he gets too warm when he moves to the floor. If I get up in the night, I find him lying by my pillow where it is warm, with his sad brown eyes daring me to move him. 

His favourite toy is a #3 soccer ball which he can carry in his mouth. He has several bouncy balls and will catch them when thrown but always goes back to the soccer ball. We couldn't find it for two days. It was under the couch. How he managed to do that is beyond us. He must have pushed it very hard to make it fit. He has plush toys, some with squeakers. He will shake them like a rat but has never destroyed one. 

Lucky likes his head on the pillow

Chewing on an ice block

His favourite toy - a soccer ball

Our backyard

He puts a ball in a shoe then carries the shoe around


18 comments:

  1. Your grandson is adorable. They do grow so very fast. I can't believe mine will be 10 in July. Lucky is lucky to have you for a dad! Oh, and lucky to have his mother too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see him again in mid-May and for his 1st birthday, August 3. At this age they are picking up new things every day. Lucky is lucky all right. He was well named.

      Delete
  2. Both of your boys are simply gorgeous. But you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your boys are cuties! And I see young Grayden is a Riders fan already. Although if they live in Edmonton now, perhaps he should consider the Elks. I saw a funny football t-shirt this weekend that referenced the "Edmonton Elkaholics Fan Club." Well, I thought it was funny anyways . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grayden will always be a Riders fan I expect. He is an Oilers fan, does that help?

      Delete
    2. Well, okay, that's SOMETHING anyway.

      Delete
    3. Rider fans are loyal to the death. Go to a Stamps rider game in Calgary. There is so much green and white in the stands it is overwhelming. And much of it is from Calgary residents.

      Delete
  4. Flying expensive. It use to be about $125USD to fly to Southwest Oregon. And now it double.
    Grandson sure is happy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will watch for seat sales as we need to go to Grayden's birthday party August 3rd. Today basic fare for those dates is $370 round trip but it doesn't include taxes and all the other stuff they add on.

      Delete
  5. This was a very enjoyable post, my friend. So far, I've been spared spending bookoos of money on dogs and cats, my most expensive single problem outlay was a bit less than $3,000.

    I must say that I'm very glad to have never had snow in my backyard in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow in April is not unusual here. Tanya's spring flowers at home are blooming and the garden is starting to go in.
      Lucky has some itching problems but only related to our house. We have him on Apoquel and it is under control. Everything adds up but pets aren't covered under our Canadian health coverage. Darn.

      Delete
  6. Both Grayden and Lucky look very happy. The photo of Lucky on the pillow is so cute! (If that's not too disrespectful a word to describe such a noble-looking fellow.) I sure wouldn't want to get on his bad side - he looks as though he could do some serious damage. Grayden can probably do serious damage, too; but only to his Grandpa and Babushka's hearts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo are right about Grayden. The family is coming to Saskatoon on May long weekend so we will go up and see him again then. Can hardly wait.
      Lucky is a pussy cat once he knows you. He will bark ferociously and jump up on you when you come in if we don't hold him but he has never bitten anyone. His bark deters burglars but if one broke in and knows dogs, Lucky will hold the light for him.

      Delete
  7. I love me some Lucky but oh man ..that Grayden is just adorable..those fat little cheeks...want to blow bubbles on his belly..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky is easy to love unless he is barking and jumping up on you because he thinks he is protecting Tanya or me. Grayden is chubby all over. He has fists like a boxer. he gets lots of kisses and bubbles that is for sure. The smiles are what does it for him.

      Delete
  8. Okay, so between ADORABLE Grandson and Handsome Fur Baby, this was a Delightful Post. So glad you got to spend some quality Family time, they grow up so fast. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. I will do more of them as it is both fun and easy to find good pictures of my best boys. Grayden is growing so fast. He will be walking by the time I see him in mid-May.

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted