Friday, April 10, 2015

Dad, you're not funny

For those of you who don't know, a 'dad joke' is a 'lame, embarrassing or unfunny joke told by someone's father'.

Collections of them regularly show up on Facebook; in fact I shared one from Buzzfeed the other day.  

  • Forrest Gump's password? 1forrest1
  • Judge to woman accused of assaulting her husband with a guitar, "First offender?" "No, first a Gibson, then a Fender".


Our neighbour's little girl was in the hospital some years back and we were up visiting her when her dad walked in.  First thing he asked her was if she had heard of the agnostic dyslexic insomniac who laid awake nights wondering if there really was a dog. 

It may be hereditary.  My father told them.  In fact I passed one of his on to my nephew the other day (You're welcome, Andrew) about the little boy who ran through the screen door and strained himself.  

My grandfather told them*: at the beginning of a large meal, "Have you ever seen such a bun dance before?", or "There was a little dog named August who was kicked by a horse..and it was the first of September".

Of course, I would never tell such jokes, myself, though apparently my children think otherwise.  On her first trip to England,  my youngest  bought me this book. Maybe she was trying to tell me something?



* courtesy my cousin, David, who is no slouch at this game himself.


4 comments:

  1. Bad jokes, I love-em.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that some members of your family have under-developed senses of humour. Condolences!

    Also, blessings an Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are classics! Your audience's groans are the highest form of praise. (Loved the "first offender" one - gotta tell that one to my musician buddies!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all. My children have their own specialty which is sarcasm. Their witty sarcastic put-downs (mostly of me) leave me in stitches with laughter.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted