Monday, March 11, 2024

The Six-Day War of June 1967

 In the Six-Day War of June 1967, Israel expanded and occupied the rest of the Arab territory of Mandated Palestine, including Jerusalem.  It also took control of and occupied the Golan Heights of neighbouring Syria and the Sinai of Egypt. The 1967 war brought the second great Palestinian exodus. Half-a-million Palestinian people were uprooted and fled, half of them refugees for the second time.

The preemptive war began with an Israeli air assault in Egypt and Syria. An Israeli ground offensive was also launched in the Sinai Peninsula, the Golan Heights, the Gaza Strip, and the West Bank. These territories were all captured by Israel, though the Sinai Peninsula was later returned to Egypt. Golan Heights and West Bank gave Israel control over precious water resources.

Source Israel Committee Against Housing 
Demonstrations https://icahd.org/

The war was sold as necessary because Israel faced an existential threat from Egypt and Syria. 15,000 Arab soldiers were killed and only 700 Israelis. Miko Peled examined the minutes of the meeting of Israeli generals, of which his father was one. He learned that the Egyptian army was at least a year and a half away from becoming a fighting force and that the Syrian army was even farther behind. The Six-Day War was one of taking advantage of Arab weakness and of territorial expansion within Palestine

Miko Peled, is an author, writer, speaker, and human rights activist living in the United States. He was born in Jerusalem in 1961. His grandfather, Dr. Avraham Katsnelson was a Zionist leader and signer on the Israeli Declaration of Independence. His father, Matti Peled was a young officer in the war of 1948 and a general in the Six-Day War. General Peled then turned peacemaker, urging a fair settlement with the Palestinians. Miko’s unlikely opinions reflect his father’s legacy.

If you  go to YouTube you can find several presentatins by Miko Peled https://youtu.be/jI2K5ZnOHUg?si=khOA1fvVxpoGb-zF. Also by Ilan Pappe https://youtu.be/qxQNk81ELbI?si=cz1G5wuiFkSqzduF 

Prior to the 1960s Palestinian history was fairly easy to follow. The players were primarily Zionists, Palestinians, British and other Arab states. In the 1960s it gets more complicated. America becomes  involved in a major way as does the UN. There are many oganizations and leaders appearing and many actions, reactions and negotiations taking place. I am still sorting these out as best I can.

I have enough energy for one major physical activity and one major mental activity per day, so I am often behind in reading other blogs or writing my own. Some days I feel like there is something wearing me out from the inside. So far the doctors have found nothing. They even examined my head. (straight line for some wit to capitalize on). They are still looking. Once I get some of that fixed, I am going to go for new knees.

7 comments:

  1. I hope the doctors find some answers for you. Is there a long waiting list in SK for knee surgery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were on the list it would not be long now as Moe is trying to decrease the backlog before the election. My MRI was moved ahead two months.
      I should go to Europe for a stomach staple job. My step niece got hers for free in the Netherlands and lost 30 kg. I haven't seen a recent picture of her.

      Delete
    2. Good luck with the knees, I've had both replaced & it isn't too bad.

      Delete
  2. Sorry I'm late to the party, and I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. I hope you get some good health news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a CT scan again Friday. Will know something by mid-week. I should have several Dr appointments in April. I am off for a week to see my grandson on Thurday. Which is good news for me

      Delete
  3. Your blog is a reliable companion in my continuous learning journey.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted