Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Lucky, Samus, and the Dog Park

 I've not been on my computer much since last Friday. There are almost 200 unread emails in my Inbox, mostly news items of which I shall delete the older half. 

My second daughter, Kylee-Anne and her husband, Ian from Saskatoon were here from Friday night until mid afternoon Sunday and brought their dog Samus. Samus is a gentle giant, Black Lab and Great Dane cross. We were worried how she and Lucky would get along.

When Lucky and I stayed at my friend Ed's, his dog, Prill, kept Lucky in line as it was her house. They got along mostly by ignoring each other. But this is Lucky's house and he is highly protective of Tanya and I so we worried. Needlessly as it turned out. Lucky knows and loves my daughter as she is a true dog whisperer. So he accepted Samus and Ian with no fuss at all. In fact he was overly deferential to Samus who used her size and Lucky's timidness to make herself the top dog so to speak. 

Lucky never had another big dog to play with and when Samus would drop into play stanch, he didn't know how to respond. Not much room to play in our tiny house but in the back yard they learned to play together eventually. And we took them to the big dog park south-west of us off 13th Avenue. It is basically a huge level bare field, with a now-frozen creek along one side. This was Lucky's first experience off leash other than when he escaped the house a few times. 

He had so much fun and behaved himself around larger dogs and people. Ran and ran and circled back to make sure we were coming. He heard someone calling their dog way across the field and was sure it was for him so went charging off until we called him back. 

He loves cats and small dogs. There was a young woman with two small dogs and he was overjoyed. One dog was a 9 week old Golden Lab and the other was a sweet little floof of some kind. He would have spent his whole time with them if we hadn't called him to come with us. Even so he ran back across the field to check on them again. 

We have no vehicle to will have to depend on rides to go to that dog park in future. There is one within walking distance but it is much smaller and not much used on winter. We will use it in spring.

Both Samus and Lucky slept well that night. Lucky was sad to see Kylee-Anne go home but had mixed emotions about Samus. I think he was glad to get his house back and not worry about having his food stolen.

None of the pictures are mine as I forgot my phone when we went to the dog park.












28 comments:

  1. This is such a happy post. Thank you. And Lucky and Samus too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are happy and are getting used to our new life in Canada

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience with your daughter and Lucky. I hope you are enjoying your new home as much as possible...and I for one are glad you are not in Ukraine. Hugs to you, Tanya and Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are glad not to be in Ukraine too, though we wish we could be. We know too many people including relatives who are on the front line. So far none killed and one wounded but now back in action.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like Lucky has a sweet, likeable personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a loveable dog. But barks at every little noise or movement outside and is quite protective when we walk him. He would never bite anyone but wants to jump on them and bark in their faces. I walked him to my Dr's clinic today to introduce them. Once he sniffed her hand he was fine.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. There are still things in this world that make us feel joy in life

      Delete
  5. Aw, they're so cute together! I'm so glad to hear Lucky has been well-behaved and is adjusting to his new life. Good dog, Lucky; good dog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a good dog. And I tell him so in the most loving tones. You know, if you use the same loving tone you can call him all sorts of bad names and he still thinks he is a good dog

      Delete
    2. I used to do that with my horses, too. Doesn't work with humans though.

      Delete
    3. Is that the voice of rueful experience...? ;-)

      Delete
    4. As The Virginian said to Trampas, "When you call me that, smile!"

      Delete
  6. I think it cool that towns and communities have dog parks.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog parks allow people to run their dogs off leash in a controlled area. Otherwise there will be loose dogs running all over.

      Delete
    2. Lucky has been through a lot. She has had to learn to be acceptant of her environment.
      the Ol'Buzzard

      Delete
    3. Lucky can cope with anything if he has been there once.

      Delete
  7. Lucky Lucky!
    When I was regularly dogsitting Tessa (younger son's dog) we would go to the dog park quite often and she would run about with the other dogs and have a super time. But it was too far to walk so I had to get her into the back of my car. Fine when she was a youngster but impossible when she was in her later years. She's gone now, and next weekend I am dogsitting Badger (older son's dog) but he is about the size of Lucky and there's no way I can get him up into my car, so no dog park for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't he jump in by himself? After we loaded him once, he knows the drill.

      Delete
    2. He's a funny sort of dog, huge and scary looking but very timid, and I don't think I could persuade him to jump up into the back of my Rev 4. And that's OK cos I don't really want the car full of dog hair! I'll have enough in the house by the time he goes home. He;s the nervous type, doesn't like walking on tiled floor, jumps from mat to carpet.

      Delete
    3. He sounds like my Lucky in many respects. But Lucky stopped shedding. He will likely start again in spring. Getting him into the back of an SUV is sometimes tricky. If we can get his front feet up he will usually jump in. Backseat of cars, no problem. We put a blanket down on the seat.

      Delete
  8. Tundra Bunny here... I'm glad to hear that Lucky is enjoying the dog park, even if he was dwarfed by Samus (i.e., "Sa-moose"?)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need rides to the dog park as it is a one hour walk from our house. Checked with Regina Transit and no go. If we get it organized one of these days, I'll let you know and you can meet us there

      Delete
    2. Tundra again... Sure, just send me an email at tundrabunny207@gmail.com... I might even be able to help out with a ride if Lucky can squeeze into the back seat of a Subaru!

      Delete
    3. I'll walk him down there and you can meet me. I'll email you when I have a plan. Lucky doesn't mind riding in cars.

      Delete
  9. How nice that the Fur Babies interacted well. I know when we had the Grandsons Pit Bull Tyson here, we initially worried about how he'd react to our Neighbors Female Pit Bull next door since the Fencing between our Acreages is low enough for either Dog to vault easily. As it turned out they became Besties and I'm sure they miss one another now, he comes for Play Dates since their Dog Park is Fun, but a lot more personalities of Canines for him to navigate. He's a cupcake, but so many folks fear Pit Bulls and often their Dogs are the more aggressive ones in actuality. Even when another Dog is misbehaving, Tyson is such a strong Bull of a Dog that he thinks it's playful and isn't picking up on cues of aggression... unless or until one of his Humans is threatened by another Dog, then, well, his instincts to protect activate... tho', he's not undisciplined, he's probably the most disciplined animal I've ever met. See what a Proud Human I am of my Great-Grandpup? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pit Bulls apparently make great pets. You should be proud of your great-grandpup. Our dog needs a companion but two large dogs in this house would be impossible

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted