Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Resolutions and Runkeeper

 New Year's resolutions were made to be ignored so I never made any. 

On the other hand, I have a dog needs walking. As all the Management courses tell you, "What you don't  measure, you can't manage." (Which is true to a point, but any good manager in real life will also tell you, "Not everything that can be measured is important, while things that cannot be measured are sometimes very important." But I digress.)

How far and how long I walk the dog can be measured. For many years I used an app on my phone called Runkeeper. It uses GPS to track where and how long you walked, ran, jogged, depending what you set it to. Also measures change in altitude over distance. 

I walked Lucky to the dog park closest to us a few days ago. He was bored as there were no other dogs there so we started for home. I hate retracing steps so I tried to go a different way and ended up walking south along the edge of three lanes of traffic going north. Most of my shortcuts end up like this. Two hours walking and 4 km measured on Google maps. Next time I'll go back the way I came.

I reinstalled Runkeeper on my phone today and  the three of us walked almost to the Lawson Pool. Tanya loves to swim and will likely walk there herself so she wanted to know how far it was from our house. Took almost an hour, there and back, as Lucky spent a great deal of time sniffing and marking. Do you know how long it takes to walk two blocks with trees every ten meters?

This is some of what Runkeeper displays after a walk:



Friday we will walk to the dog park again. The weather has been so great for walking since Christmas with temps around -10C, no wind and bright sunshine. It is perfect winter weather for outdoor activities. 




15 comments:

  1. Walking is one the best exercise both for the body and mind. Although I'm not much on swimming.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't swim in anything but salt water. I love the beaches around Kemer Turkey. I know walking is good for me but if it were not for Lucky. . .

      Delete
  2. Calvin and Hobbes are brilliant. I am so sad that they are no longer published.
    Yay on walking. No resolutions here, and we are deep in the sweaty season so your snow fields look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer will be here in 5 months. I'm looking forward to sunshine and longer days

      Delete
  3. Sounds like Lucky is settling in to Canadian life quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing pretty good but he is too anxious to bark at every noise or movement outside.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm with you on that count. The walks are for Lucky and I go along

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you hear you're settling in and exploring your new domain with Tanya and Lucky at your side. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are getting oot and aboot when the weather is nice and we are not tied up elsewhere. Yesterday we went to Sask Immigration to learn how to apply for Permanent residency for Tanya

      Delete
  6. I need to start walking but it has been cold then warmer and wet! We started with sun this morning and moved into clouds again! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you. My friend Ed RUNS 10 MILES every morning regardless of the weather and has for several decades. That is dedication. I say his mother dropped him on his head when he was young. Where he grew up there are goalies and bronc riders but he became a runner

      Delete
  7. Tundra Bunny here.... Happy New Year to you, Tanya and Lucky. With our mild temperatures forecast for he next week or so, Lucky will be able to enjoy his first Canadian winter without freezing his paws off, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we can get to the big dog park tomorrow when my daughter is here with her Black Lab Great Dane cross. I'm hoping he and Lucky get along well

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted