Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Evening dog walk

Another 30+C day. Masha is here for the night. Katya and Yuri's Natasha came over to enjoy the pool and hang out with Masha for a while.  About 6:00 the three of us took the dogs for a walk.  With a girl for each dog, I took my camera.


Russian Olives and a threatening sky
Heading up the bike path along the river

Village milk cows; fewer than a couple of years back

Mostly Red Steppe; descendants of cattle brought to Ukraine in 1770
Climbing a hill away from the creek bottom

Winter wheat harvest has begun

Sunflowers will bloom shortly
Community gardens with corn as high as an elephant's eye.

7 comments:

  1. Lots of things cropping up in our neighbourhood. How is milk production on those Red Steppe cattle? Anywhere near a Holstein?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to say but more like a milking shorthorn I think. And under "milk cow conditions", though I guess you not being a farm boy from the days when everyone milked a few cows for cream check money, might not understand. But you can guess. LOW input.
      The Red Steppe came from Germany with the Mennonites and to me is the ideal local cow to cross with a Hereford, Red Angus or Simmental with a Charolais terminal bull. But there is no money in beef cows at the village level.

      Delete
  2. looking at the bike path I can't help but wonder what the tick situation is there?
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some ticks in April-May but none now that I know of.

      Delete
    2. ticks were terrible this spring in Saskatchewan

      Delete
  3. What's the history of ticks in Saskatchewan anyway? I don't remember ever hearing of ticks till I was well into my teens and now they are well known pests. Did they catch a ride on some wild animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the answer to that, Barb, but certainly share your observations. Until we moved to Regina in 1983 I had never seen or heard of ticks in Sask.

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted