Saturday, May 1, 2021

Lucky's Off-Leash Dog Park Final

 Lucky and I walk up to the high level dam almost every day. It takes about an hour from home and 45 minute coming back as it is mostly down hill with fewer side trips. It is sad to see everything dried up and growing up to trees and brush compared to 12 years ago when Bobik and Volk used to walk up there with me.

August 2009, water flowing from the settling pond

April 30, 2021, dry 

At the end of the concrete spillway was a catch basin to hold excess water
The pipe made sure there was always water flowing to the creek
In 2009 the creek ran slowly but steadily

There was little if any trees, or reeds growing along the lower creek bed

Today it is mostly pools of stagnant water with weeds and algae

Makeshift dams provide pools for livestock to drink from

The creek used to keep the community and farm herds separate
Now there is a dirt crossing

Lots of buttercups

Fruit trees blooming all along the concrete spillway

Remnants of an old barn from Collective Farm days

Lucky is waiting for me to head for home

Thank you for going with me on my walks with Lucky. It would be nice if the settling pond still had water that overflowed into the stream in the valley below. But time marches on and the environment changes with human action or lack of it. I hope the commercial farm herd and flock will keep the weeds and shrubbery down and possibly reclaim some of the grazing land between the dams.

16 comments:

  1. It's been years since I've seen buttercups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earliest flowers on the grassland (Steppe) are all yellow. First was Star of Bethlehem (so tiny), then Coltsfoot (aka Mother-Stepmother in Russian), then Buttercup (everywhere) and finally Dandelion (more than everywhere).

      Delete
  2. Water is SUCH a precious resource. And in short supply for too many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a creek there long before there was a mine. The settling pond is artificial. Someday I want to follow back behind the pond to see where the original creek came from. Maybe water will flow again someday from the original source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky is very lucky!!! I mean that he's lucky having such a large area to explore and run without being on a leash. I used to take Tessa my son's dog to the forest all the time and let her run, but because of the curent Covid restrictions many more people are strolling on the forest trails, and dogs running free are frowned upon.
    Love those buttercups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off-leash is so good for big dogs and I supposed small dogs too. They get much more exercise. I would guess if I travel 5 km, Lucky will travel 10 or 15 km.
      Any bears in your forest? An off leash dog can bring you an unexpected visitor when he runs to you for protection. When my friend Ed runs in a forested area he will often see three of more bears. His big dog will chase them up a tree but I worry one day a bear won't scare.

      Delete
    2. No bears usually but one was spotted in the area last summer and warning notices were put up on all the trails. Probably long gone now, far too many people about. Yes, when off leash Tessa would cover 5 times as far as I did, plus rolling in every mud puddle or horsey poo.

      Delete
    3. Don't they love to roll in things gross and disgusting? I had two little dogs who found a sun-ripened gopher which they took great delight in rolling in. Lucky just likes to get wet and muddy. Once it gets hot, I am sure he will roll in the water

      Delete
  5. an hour? I'd be laying facedown in the dirt after 20 minutes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding it much easier now than when I started walking in that area. Wind is still bad but my legs can take the slopes better.
      First time I too was almost face down in the dirt.

      Delete
  6. That last photo gave me a smile. Lucky's got a very distinct, "Well, are you coming?" tilt to his head. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an ongoing expression when we are walking. Hard for an old dog to keep up with a young pup. When I haul out his leash to take him home, he gets so excited, just as excited as when I bring the leash to take him for a walk. Go figure. Maybe he just likes dragging me along?

      Delete
    2. Gotta keep your humans healthy and happy. After all, that's a dog's solemn responsibility. ;-)

      Delete
    3. And ours to keep them healthy. Not always an easy task, we have found the hard way

      Delete
  7. Do you have problems with ticks? Today in Maine, if you walked your dog through the woods and weeds you would have to pick ticks off him on return.
    There were no ticks in Maine until sometime in the 1990. Now they are a pandemic.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ticks galore, though I have escaped them so far. We last a dog a year and a half ago to a tick borne blood parasite because we didn't think they were active in winter. Now we treat Lucky year round for ticks. Tanya found something that lasts 3 months. I sure hope it works for heartworm too.

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted