Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Lucky's Off-Leash Dog Park Continued

 Lucky does not stray far from me when he is off leash. He will go charging off, turn around and charge back at me as fast as he can. He loops around me like Chinese fighter jet around and American spy plane. He crashed into me once and now I turn sideways when he gets close.

Lucky waiting for me at the top of the hill to go down into the valley

Lucky loves to go exploring IF I go with him. He wants to run through the bushes where the rabbits couldn't go and neither can I. I did that once and found myself trapped. I had to crawl out through a muddy ditch.

Lucky waiting hopefully. Sorry, Bud, no deal. (Bud is one of his names.)

The valley between the high and low level dams is isolated with a dirt ditch on the north side and a concrete spillway ditch on the south side. Someone recently pushed dirt into the concrete ditch, enough to cross on foot or apparently on dirt bike. We have crossed there several times and walked up to the high level dam and back but did not go down into the valley.

Better labeled Google Earth map of the area

Dirt fill crossing area with dirt bike tracks

Walking along the edge of the ditch to the high level dam

The square hole in the above photo was the control gate for the settling pond. Heavy planks were added or taken out as deemed necessary. I cannot understand what all the ditches were for, other than the concrete spillway. They even dug a ditch and put in a culvert at the spillway end of the lower level dam. Is it to drain water from the spillway or from the dam; what is its purpose?

The culvert at the end of the Lower level dam opens into the spillway

The other end of the culvert and the ditch along the lower level dam

Lucky always wanted to explore the valley between the dams. Years back Bobik and Volk chased a rabbit down there and I never saw them for an hour. Anyway, two days ago, I made Lucky happy and followed the dirt bike tracks down a shallow grade to the bottom. There is actually grazing available down there but no way to get livestock in or out except now across that dirt fill in the spillway. There was at least one cow down there last year but getting a herd or flock in and out might be a challenge. The old creek bed, pre dams etc. was visible and choked with trees. We wandered around for a while then climbed back up. Shallow grades are a must for this old man.

The old stream bed, choked with trees


Potential grazing area

I wish my readers would walk with me in this area as it is a good workout and rather pretty. I hope my photography and blog posts help you to feel as though you were there. I have one more post to do, to show what lack of water from the settlement pond is doing to the stream in the former communal grazing area.

Click on the pictures to make them larger.

13 comments:

  1. Seems to me that Lucky is a bad influence on you, getting you to crawl through bushes and dirt -- at YOUR age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard for us old dogs to keep up with these young pups

      Delete
  2. I adore Shepherds. I grew up with them, learned to walk pulling myself up on a very patient tail, and teethed on one's ears.
    I would very happily come with you and Lucky but would leave the more strenuous explorations to the pair of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go walking with you. I could show you the easy paths with gentle slopes and mostly flat. I'm sure Lucky would love you once we introduced you. He is very protective.

      Delete
    2. You were a nature lover. Harris was quite the dog. I wish Lucky could be in the house more and get used to more people. But he is an outdoor dog.

      Delete
    3. Harris was magnificent. Decades later I still mourn. He was selective about his people, just as Lucky is.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful area, and it's nice to see some green grass on its way! I'm sure you've made Lucky very happy with the off-leash walks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is finally here. Tomorrow will be our first day of 20+C. Grass is growing, trees are leafing out, Apricots are blossoming, daffodils are everywhere and tulips are bursting in all the gardens.
      Lucky loves to run. Once the grass is high enough there will be livestock back on it and our fun will be over. We'll have to find another place.

      Delete
  4. I am a cat person now- much less maintenance. But all my dogs have been German Shepheard's. I love the loyalty and intelligence of the Shepherds.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my other dogs were small; terriers or similar. This is my first big dog. I am no dog trainer.
      Lucky is certainly loyal to those he knows and not very friendly to those he doesn't. As to smart, yes and no. Too smart for his own good. He is a car chaser so I have to keep him on a leash or run the risk of him getting hit.
      I like cats very much too. Don't have to train them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I'd carry you back but might have to make two or three trips

      Delete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted