Thursday, March 24, 2011

Winter Fishing in Saskatchewan

My friend, Wayne who now lives on Vancouver Island, was born and raised on a farm near Big River Saskatchewan, where his father John, still lives. John was a logger, farmer and in the winter ice-fisherman.  He has run nets in Delaronde Lake for decades and in his early 80's is still running the nets.  Only now, the money raised from the sale of whitefish goes to the local hockey rink or some other charity. A couple of winters ago, Wayne decided to video the process of laying the nets under the ice.  This is his first ever edited video, which he finally posted on YouTube.


8 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have heard how they do it but had not seen it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who tried ice-fishing one winter. He died in the process; run over by a zamboni.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He should have listened when the voice from the sky said "There are no fish under this ice".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have fished in winter but nothing like going through that kind of ice. Hey I just followed you and have just started my new blog and would appreciate you coming by and follow. Maybe we can keep up with what each is doing. Thanks.
    Craig
    Ablaze Siding Dayton Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  5. People ice fish around here, too. Seems like it would be very relaxing and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy I escaped Indiana before there could actually BE ice fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is very interesting to me personally, first because I grew up in that area, and second because my dad fished that way commercially during the war. My parents know this fellow and even bought some of the fish that he caught. However, it was whitefish which isn't as tasty as jackfish (northern pike)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whitefish is one of the main reasons I dislike most all fish. We ate a great many in the early 1950's when I was young.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted