Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Joy of Living

When you spend as much time as I do reading the news on-line, and current events articles and the blogs of writers who care about the economy of their country and humanity in general and the environment that hasn't been mined or drilled yet, it is easy to get depressed.  One could conclude the world is a terrible place and going to Hell in a handbasket, which in one sense, I suppose it is.

On the other hand it is a very beautiful place and brings joy and happiness to a great many living creatures, including humans, in spite of it all.

I love watching the dogs explode out of their area when I open the gate.  They barely touch the ground as they make a hard right and race some 500 meters as fast as they can, just because they can.  They make a 180 and race back, past the house in the opposite direction, almost to the end of the street.  Then they come back and hang around the yard, hoping the cat will come out to play so they can chase him up a tree.

The other day we were waiting in the line up at a bank machine.  Three students from the Economic University came along and got in line.  They were obviously quite upbeat about things and were engaged in animated conversation while they stood there.  But one girl, in particular, could not be still.  She literally was dancing* the whole time and pretty fancy footwork too. Ukraine may not be the best country in the world to live in, but for that girl, that day, life couldn't seem to hold more happiness. 


* and it wasn't the "it is cold and I have to pee" dance.  I know the steps to that one.

4 comments:

  1. Those dogs are too cute. I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life's small, unexpected delights can go a long way to fend off depression or at least a sour outlook.

    Back in the 1970's, I remember going to an outdoor event at a community college. Two good-looking coeds came bouncing along a path, laughing and joking with each other, passing by me. I laughed too, because one of them, who was very shapely, was wearing a T-shirt with messages on the front and back.

    On the front it said, "Now you see 'em." And on the back, "Now you don't"

    Quite a day brightener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I dunno. When I do a happy dance, Peggy tells me that it looks like a potty dance. When she says this, I remind her that I'm 1/4 Native American, and that this is just how "my people" dance, and that if she makes fun of it, then she's guilty of a hate crime. This doesn't seem to scare her though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted