Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Grace in Small Things #4

I'm trying to think of a better way to title this blog series.  365 of these will get boring.  I need a daily theme word and then put GiST #X behind it or something.  For Canadian readers I am tempted to shorten it to GST.  For those who don't know, GST is Canadian for VAT, like "Eh" is Canadian for just about anything we want it to be.  But as usual, I digress.  I release a thought inside my head and it takes off like a pinball machine. (TILT).

Anyway here are five more things that I am thankful for and that make me happy.

1. From reading MayB's blog post the other day, it appears I could be a grandfather in my own right next year.  Of a kid.  Or a dog. Its a win-win.

2.  Comfort clothes.  Flannel long underwear that looks like tights.  today I wish they had feet.  A heavy flannel housecoat.  All to keep me warm as I shuffle and snuffle around the house.

3. I love kids.  Other people's kids especially.  Our friends Ryya and Vladik have a granddaughter named Sonja who is in Kindergarten.  The teacher called the class up to sing and she refused to go.  The teacher called her mother.  When she got home, her mother asked her why she didn't sing with the class.  "How do you know?"  "I'm a mother.  I have eyes everywhere and know everything you do". Sonja looked at her mother with all the scorn a 5 year old can muster "The teacher told you".  Next day she went up with the class and informed the teacher that "See, I am singing.  You don't need to call my mother".

4. Tanya took the mini-bus to Dnipropetrovs'k today to visit her friend Elena and go shopping in the big clothing and garden markets.  Old age is when you don't care where your wife goes as long as you don't have to go with her. 

5. Everyone quotes Adam Smith but no one actually reads him.  I have started "The Wealth of Nations" and am on page 26.  It took a month.  How long will it take me to read all 1208 pages?

3 comments:

  1. You're doing well with this. Even if it's tough to stay warm, and with no Tanya to heat you up.
    And your, right; it's win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her mother must be pretty cool too. I haven't met her but I think she must be the maternal version of "Calvin's father".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. But if you include a commercial link, it will be deleted. If you comment anonymously, please use a name or something to identify yourself. Trolls will be deleted